Feature Requests

Apr 13, 2011 at 1:31 PM

All,

WDTVGen is starting to really settle down, thus I would like to start collecting, in a more collaborative way, suggestions on improvements and features.

Please post them as a response to this thread.

thanks

Jeff

Apr 13, 2011 at 1:33 PM

Here is an example:

Request:  Create an "after action" script call capability for movies or tv shows so that I can post process the video file via a "resizer" so it is optimal for my hub. 

Description: I would like to be able to call a command line program when I have processed a file (or if a set of files, build a batch program to call several command lines), specifically I will be post processing the video and resizing it, also, i will be moving it afterwards, so several "steps" in the batch program would be cool, I also need to be able to pass parameters to the batch program so please allow for those, they include, file name, final path

Apr 13, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Request: Be able to specify further the template for naming TV Show episodes.

Description: Using the current template, both season and episode numbers are two digits.  I use only one digit for the season number and two for the episode number, since this is the way that subtitle files are usually named on the Web.  Please allow the possiblity of specifying either one or two digits for the season number in the template definition.

Apr 13, 2011 at 5:54 PM
Edited Apr 13, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Request: To be able to create a folder.jpg for the series name.

I and I believe that you have your TV shows stored in this type of directory structure.

series name

...season x

......episode # and name

I know that you create a folder.jpg for the season x, but how about one for the series name?  This would be good for when a new series starts.

Apr 13, 2011 at 6:04 PM

Request: Have the option to add a period in front of all the jpg files.

I also have a WDTV Live, and when using network shares all of the jpg files show as well as the mkv files.  By adding a period in front of the jpg's name it makes it hidden, and therefore you will not see them anymore.

some show.mkv

.some show.jpg

some show.xml

This has no effect on the WDTV Live hub.

Apr 13, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Request: Have the program automatically process new episodes.

As you all know TV shows are on once a week.  It would be cool if WDTVHubGen could process the new episodes once they are added to there proper folders.   I don't know maybe with filters and a "watch directory" or something like that.  I use a program called SCRU that automatically unrar's my scene release TV shows and it uses filters to be able to set the location that the mkv's once they are uncompressed.  

Also such a feature would set this great program apart from all the rest of the "scrapper" programs for the hub.

Apr 13, 2011 at 9:48 PM

I will add more options to templates. I purposefully didn't start with a lot of options becuase i wanted to see what people really wanted.  thanks.

Apr 13, 2011 at 9:51 PM

Series folder.jpg creation is already in the product (just not very well documented) after doing a search for a show the button "Save Series Info" (if it isn't enable, double click again on the episode item to reload, this is  abug I'm fixing) and it will probablyou for a location (folder) to save the series folder.jpg

Apr 13, 2011 at 9:53 PM
kainat wrote:

I also have a WDTV Live, and when using network shares all of the jpg files show as well as the mkv files.  By adding a period in front of the jpg's name it makes it hidden, and therefore you will not see them anymore.

some show.mkv

.some show.jpg

some show.xml

I have actually added this handling when I thought you wanted all of them with a . in the beginning. I will look at adding this, I know you ahve requested it before and It is on the list :)

Apr 13, 2011 at 9:58 PM
kainat wrote:

As you all know TV shows are on once a week.  It would be cool if WDTVHubGen could process the new episodes once they are added to there proper folders.   I don't know maybe with filters and a "watch directory" or something like that.  I use a program called SCRU that automatically unrar's my scene release TV shows and it uses filters to be able to set the location that the mkv's once they are uncompressed.  

Also such a feature would set this great program apart from all the rest of the "scrapper" programs for the hub.

I love this idea. here is how i would implement it: i would create a command line version of the application that would monitor a directory and transform the file when it appears.  it will take a while to get there because the ui is used (probably incorrectly) to store a lot of data at this point.  Thanks, keep em coming

Apr 13, 2011 at 10:12 PM
NoSlack913 wrote:

Series folder.jpg creation is already in the product (just not very well documented) after doing a search for a show the button "Save Series Info" (if it isn't enable, double click again on the episode item to reload, this is  abug I'm fixing) and it will probablyou for a location (folder) to save the series folder.jpg

Very cool!!  I did not know this before.

Apr 13, 2011 at 10:16 PM
NoSlack913 wrote:
kainat wrote:

some show.mkv

.some show.jpg

some show.xml

I have actually added this handling when I thought you wanted all of them with a . in the beginning. I will look at adding this, I know you ahve requested it before and It is on the list :)

Yes I know that you have been working on it, I just wanted to put it on an "official" list :)

Thanks

Apr 13, 2011 at 10:27 PM
NoSlack913 wrote:
kainat wrote:

I love this idea. here is how i would implement it: i would create a command line version of the application that would monitor a directory and transform the file when it appears.  it will take a while to get there because the ui is used (probably incorrectly) to store a lot of data at this point.  Thanks, keep em coming

This is great!!  I know that it may take a while, but again, I just wanted to have it on an "official" list.

Thanks again,

J

Apr 14, 2011 at 1:59 PM
NoSlack913 wrote:

I will add more options to templates. I purposefully didn't start with a lot of options becuase i wanted to see what people really wanted.  thanks.

Thanks Jeff for version 1.1.  Now the naming of the TV Shows is perfect for me.

Apr 15, 2011 at 3:38 AM

Request: Create a jpg for shows that do not have season art yet.

I was just thinking that if we had a jpg that would be used only when a show comes back with no season or episode art available.  That way you can still overly the episode numbers on the "default" jpg.

Apr 15, 2011 at 5:36 PM
kainat wrote:

I was just thinking that if we had a jpg that would be used only when a show comes back with no season or episode art available.  That way you can still overly the episode numbers on the "default" jpg.

Loved the idea, went a little further, and took a blank image (with an WDTVHubGen Icon on it) and added series name and number as a place holder.  I uploaded a picture on communities.wdc.com

Apr 19, 2011 at 1:27 PM

Request: Capability to move processed TV shows to their respective folders as well as renaming them.

It would be great, to go a little further with the idea of having a "watched directory" where every week, when new shows are placed there, the app would process them, creating the XML, jpgs and renaming them, and also moving them to the appropriate series/season folder.  This of course would necessitate that the app keep a list of the appropriate folder structure for each TV Show.  I understand this would be doable, since you already remember in the app which is the correct show in thetvdb.com for each show processed.  This I think would really make this app totally unique and would call to a greater audience.

Apr 19, 2011 at 5:14 PM
NoSlack913 wrote:
kainat wrote:

Loved the idea, went a little further, and took a blank image (with an WDTVHubGen Icon on it) and added series name and number as a place holder.  I uploaded a picture on communities.wdc.com

Hey,

I fixed teh output and moved the line down one, it looks really good now, look for it in this weekend update.

Apr 19, 2011 at 5:17 PM
NoSlack913 wrote:
kainat wrote:

some show.mkv

.some show.jpg

some show.xml

Finally figured out how to do this, I'm going to add a "button" that says "make folder wdtv live compatible" and it wlll scan the entire directory and add the . in front of jpgs,

I'm planning on adding a whole bunch of "directory" operations like: clean up old xml, re-download xml

Apr 19, 2011 at 5:28 PM

Thats great Jeff, I can't wait!!

Apr 20, 2011 at 11:55 AM

Request: To have a "newly processed" section.

Now that you can do batch processing, it is difficult  to tell if the new shows that come in have in fact been processed.  I have it doing my whole TV show directory, and when I go to look for the new episodes it shows every show that has been processed ever.  So what I am proposing is having a "newly processed" section that shows the shows that have just been processed for that session.

Thanks,

J

Apr 21, 2011 at 11:40 PM
kainat wrote:

Now that you can do batch processing, it is difficult  to tell if the new shows that come in have in fact been processed.  I have it doing my whole TV show directory, and when I go to look for the new episodes it shows every show that has been processed ever.  So what I am proposing is having a "newly processed" section that shows the shows that have just been processed for that session.

Thanks,

J

The tool supports sorting, if you sort by "XML?" ti will put the needing to be processed on the top (should od this by default) and in face, shows them grouped by "needs processing" "already processed"... make sure the check box "group by processed" is checked.

Apr 22, 2011 at 2:22 AM
NoSlack913 wrote:
kainat wrote:

Thanks,

J

The tool supports sorting, if you sort by "XML?" ti will put the needing to be processed on the top (should od this by default) and in face, shows them grouped by "needs processing" "already processed"... make sure the check box "group by processed" is checked.

Yes I am aware of this, and you are correct it does put the un processed shows at the top and the processed at the bottom.  This is more of checking them out to make to make sure that everything processed ok i.e. correct banner art work xml data and the such without having to search through all the shows that had been processed before.

It was just a thought, not a big deal :)

Thanks Jeff,

Still the best program out there

Apr 24, 2011 at 2:08 AM
kainat wrote:
NoSlack913 wrote:
kainat wrote:

Thanks,

J

Yes I am aware of this, and you are correct it does put the un processed shows at the top and the processed at the bottom.  This is more of checking them out to make to make sure that everything processed ok i.e. correct banner art work xml data and the such without having to search through all the shows that had been processed before.

Thanks Jeff,

Ok, so i loved the thought of this, becuase it bugs me too :) so i added a new column called "date" that shows the processed date (the creation date of the xml) or if unprocessed the creation date of the audio file.  then you can sort on this column to see newly added :)

Apr 24, 2011 at 2:19 PM
NoSlack913 wrote:
kainat wrote:
NoSlack913 wrote:
kainat wrote:

Thanks,

J

Thanks Jeff,

Ok, so i loved the thought of this, becuase it bugs me too :) so i added a new column called "date" that shows the processed date (the creation date of the xml) or if unprocessed the creation date of the audio file.  then you can sort on this column to see newly added :)

That's great!!  I love the way this works :)  You can see exactly what was just processed.  Thanks

Apr 24, 2011 at 2:23 PM
Edited Apr 24, 2011 at 2:39 PM
NoSlack913 wrote:
NoSlack913 wrote:
kainat wrote:

some show.mkv

.some show.jpg

some show.xml

Finally figured out how to do this, I'm going to add a "button" that says "make folder wdtv live compatible" and it wlll scan the entire directory and add the . in front of jpgs,

I'm planning on adding a whole bunch of "directory" operations like: clean up old xml, re-download xml

Hey Jeff,  Did you add this to 1.2?  I am not trying to rush you, I just did not want to miss it ;) Thanks

* OOPs Sorry, I just read the release notes and noticed it was not there!!

Apr 25, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Oh, didn't know this thread existed as well... I was using the standard issue tracker to do feature requests...

Isn't the issue tracker(http://wdtvhubgen.codeplex.com/workitem/list/basic) more practical?

What do you like best NoSlack?

Apr 25, 2011 at 12:53 PM
the_roggy wrote:

Oh, didn't know this thread existed as well... I was using the standard issue tracker to do feature requests...

Isn't the issue tracker(http://wdtvhubgen.codeplex.com/workitem/list/basic) more practical?

What do you like best NoSlack?

I created this before I realized there was an issue tracker that was kinda built in. prefer the workitem list. thanks.

May 11, 2011 at 3:58 PM

I have noticed that the season artwork for my TV shows keep changing as new artwork is up loaded to the TVDB.  Is there a way to maybe save a "master" locally and use this for all the episodes new and old?  Also it might make the program run faster as it does not have to download a new artwork every time.  It seems to me that this part of the precess is what takes the longest and sometimes it does not download the cover at all (slow internet connection)

This is just a thought.

Thanks

I hope that you had a great vacation!

Sep 4, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Has this project went dead?